Havant Borough Council has now issued its Climate Strategy – something we have been calling for over nearly 3 years.
It’s going before various committees before being discussed at full council on 22nd September.
Several HCA members have already written to councillors with their comments – why not do the same?
You can find councillors’ emails here
We are particularly keen to see
- Clear, measurable targets covering all types of emissions, including shipping and aviation
- Ambitious targets for the next few years rather than working towards net zero by 2050 as is proposed
- A comprehensive plan for engaging residents, businesses, community groups and schools
- Clear commitments on areas like active travel, protecting biodiversity, flood defences
- Guarantees that all HBC decisions, including procurement and investment are measured against climate criteria
HCA produced a paper with suggestions for inclusion in a climate policy and you can read it here.
You can find out how well Havant is doing compared with other areas on Friends of the Earth’s Near Me Tool
See Havant’s actual emissions now on this Impact Tool which is very easy to use and includes territorial and consumption emissions.
Some other useful links: