From 18-26 September, we’re hoping to see lots of events around the Borough, celebrating action on climate and sending a message to the politicians that we really care about the linked issues of cutting greenhouse gas emissions, protecting biodiversity and tackling waste and pollution. This is especially important as vital climate talks are taking place in Glasgow in November and we need lots of action to prevent more global heating.
Our Green Week is part of the country-wide Great Big Green Week https://greatbiggreenweek.com/ so we’ll be part of a huge national festival and events will be taking place around Britain
We have a number of events planned already including displays in the Meridian Shopping Centre, events at the Spring Arts Centre, a green coffee morning organised by the Mayor of Havant, a schools art competition and some walks, talks, litter picks and cycle rides, but there is plenty of scope for more. Could your group plan an open day, a talk, a practical demonstration, a walk or a cycle ride? Maybe a working group to clear a site, tree planting or an event involving children? Could you build an environmental theme into something you are doing already – even a coffee morning or religious service?
Some events already arranged
- Children’s Art competition. Being judged on 21/7
- Displays at Meridian Centre. From 18-26 September, Displays showing the activities of local groups and how these relate to COP 26
- Also throughout the week the Spring Arts Centre has two exhibitions one on water and one on botanical illustration.
- Sat 18th 10.00 Opening of the Week at the Meridian Centre with the Mayor of Havant
- Sat 18th Display on water as part of the Arts Trail in Emsworth
- Sat 18th Bird watching for beginners at Langstone organised by Bird Aware Solent
- Sat 18th Great Big Beach Clean
- Mon 20th Film at the Spring The Biggest Little Farm
- Tue 21stTour of Havant’s wilder places
- Tue 21st Film at the Spring
- Wed 22nd Members of the Solent Peace group at the Meridian Centre
- Fri 24th Mayor of Havant’s Green Coffee morning
- Sat 25th Green Day at the Church of the Good Shepherd, Crookhorn
- Sat 25th Guided walk at Hurstwood organised by the Tree Wardens
- Sun 26th Working Party at Parkwood Waterlooville
We have lots more activities in the pipeline so will publish a fuller list soon
Havant Great Big Green Week will be an opportunity for us to celebrate together after the difficulties of the past year and look ahead to how we can create a cleaner, greener, healthier world. We would love to see you organise something during the week. There’s lots more information, ideas and resources you can use on https://greatbiggreenweek.com/
Do tell us your ideas now or contact us if you’d like to know more at email@example.com